Geo Smith

Geo Smith

THEY TRY SO HARD TO TAKE OUR SOULS. 50 ½” X 40”, PAPER COLLAGE

George Smith was born in Jersey City, New Jersey and studied at the School of Visual Arts in New York City where he majored in the Fine Arts. His mediums are sculpture, painting, and printmaking. He was a coordinating member of Art Against Apartheid and exhibited at the Brooklyn Museum, The Studio Museum in Harlem, Columbia University and the Studio Gallery in Brooklyn among other venues. Mr. Smith also taught a graphic design workshop at the Children’s Art Carnival.

(Medgar Evers College. (19–). The Medgar Evers College art collection. Brooklyn, NY: MEC)

Art against apartheid (IKON: Creativity and Change. A special double issue)

“I believe that as a Black man who is an artist, I have the same responsibility and purpose as those of my forefathers who were artists before me. That is, of being the keeper of the culture, a visionary, a medium, an agitator, and a functioning member of the community.” (Geo. Smith)

Art against apartheid (poster)

One thought on “Geo Smith

• March 24, 2024 at 8:09 pm
    Permalink

I would love to view more of Geo Smith’s work. We became friends and brothers while serving and rooming together in Japan USAF 1969. Sent News year card to him in 2000. Envelope returned to me marked “deceased”. I have two wood cuts that he gave to me.

Reply